Here's what I think....

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Topomax side effects?

I've been on Topomax for migraines now for about 5 months, and it's been an overall wonderful experience. It's the first medication I've ever had that worked wonders. I've not had a single migraine headache in the five months I've been on it. Before I was incapacitated for 10 days a month with a jackhammer beating my head. Try raising two kids while being unable to open your eyes due to light sensitivity. I was popping upwards of 15 Advil a day after my "good" meds ran out and the Dr's wouldn't refill them anymore. I can't complain, if the Dr. refilled the narcotics as much as I needed to take them I'd be a junkie right now..

That being said, I think I'm starting to experience some pretty negative side effects. I have not been to the gym now but once or twice in the last few weeks because I've got an overall feeling of numbness/pain all over my body ALL THE TIME. It never ends. No amount of Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol works. I had some Vicodin cough syrup for strep throat a few weeks back and that relieved it for two days. But a few weeks later, I'm still feeling it.

I did some online research and it fits the bill for some of the Topomax side effects - confusion, weird numbness, etc. There's one condition called metabolic acidosis that fits the "weird feeling" I've been having. I called my Doctor and asked them what I need to do to wean myself off the Topomax. They should call me back "within 24 hours".

I asked them to call me in my good ole' trusty prescription for Ultracet to help with the pain in case the migraines come back. This should also help with the "weird feeling" this crap is giving me while I wean off the Topomax. The scary thing about weaning off this stuff is the risk of seizure is pretty darn high. I'm hoping the changes in my diet and exercise routine in the last six months will mean the migraines don't come back at all.

I'll elaborate on that comment for those of you that don't know me at all - in the last six months, I've changed my life style dramatically. I only eat whole grains now. I do not eat fried foods anymore - rarely do I eat sugars. No more processed foods (well, only in moderation). I work out 6 days a week, about 2 hours a day. I eat 2 cups of vegetables and fruits each per day. Bad diet is the usual migraine trigger, so lets hope I'll get to let that Ultracet sit right there in my medicine cabinet until after baby #3 is born in a few years, eh?

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Blog Counter