Here's what I think....

Friday, October 5, 2007

The Loss of a Dream ... or is it?

Recently, my husband and I took an opportunity in Memphis, TN, and planned to move our two little girls to a part of the country that we knew nothing about. We visited the community and found that Memphis itself lacked the environment in which we wanted to raise our children. Just a hop away, however, was the beautiful community of Germantown, TN. We stayed there for several days, driving around looking at homes and schools, eating at local restaraunts, and admiring the sophisticated shopping offered in the tiny town. We fell in love. Absolutely in love - with this little town.

I had the biggest hopes and dreams about the type of people my children would become raised in such a quaint community - so close to city living - yet with the best schools and a close knit comminity. I would be a PTO mom - in a school where the PTO had 100% participation from parents for the last 8 years - and my children would grow up smart, confident, involved in extracurricular activities, etc. This would give them the foundation to go on and do whatever they wished, to be as successful as they wanted - we would be able to give them everything in this beautiful affluent community that was everything I'd ever dreamed of.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. My husband's employer found that his services were too important to the company to let go, and they gave him an offer we simply couldn't refuse to stay. So here I am, still in the kind of nice suburbs of Houston, TX. Did I lose my dream?

Look at everything I stated was important to me when I was fantasizing about the beautiful community of Germantown, TN. The dreams and excitement I felt weren't really about anything different from what Houston offered, other than the weather. Looking around the city, we've found several communities that are pretty darn close to Germantown in school quality, quality of life, and way better than Germantown in shopping. We're selling our home in the northwest suburbs of Houston to relocate to a different area. So the answer is no, I did not lose my dream. I just moved it about 10 hours south, by car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Blog Counter